close
close

Shin Bet shoots down report that only 40 hostages are left alive

The IDF has confirmed that 34 of those brought into Gaza on October 7 are dead, and others are feared dead.

By JNS

The Shin Bet denied a report from the British on Sunday Daily email that intelligence gathered by Israel’s Internal Security Service leads to fears that only 40 hostages of the 133 held by Hamas in Gaza are still alive.

According to the London tabloid’s report, a dwindling number of prisoners have survived after 253 were kidnapped during the Hamas-led rampage through the northwestern Negev on October 7.

The report quotes the Shin Bet and anonymous sources to make this claim.

“The publication in question is untrue and does not represent the views of the Shin Bet,” the agency said.

“The figures mentioned in the article are based solely on the opinion of the writer and are not based on information from the Shin Bet.”

The IDF has confirmed that 34 of those brought into Gaza on October 7 are dead, and others are feared dead.

A total of 1,200, mostly civilians, were killed and thousands more were injured in the attack, which was accompanied by widespread brutality.

A ceasefire reached last November freed 105 prisoners, while three other hostages were released during military rescue operations and four were released separately.

The bodies of twelve hostages have been recovered, including three who were accidentally killed by the Israeli army.

Negotiations for the release of the remaining hostages have been going on for months.

They were mediated by the Americans, Egyptians and Qataris, with the involvement of the Israelis and the terrorist group Hamas, and took place in Cairo, Doha and Paris.

“Negotiation is a lost cause. We cannot possibly negotiate dead bodies for the release of hundreds or thousands of terrorists,” a security source told the Daily Mail.

Meanwhile, Israel’s war cabinet will meet on Sunday evening to discuss the deadlock in negotiations over the release of hostages following Hamas’s response to a US proposal.

The meeting was supposed to take place last week but was postponed due to the Iranian attack on Israel.

The meeting is being held on behalf of the ministers without portfolio Benny Gantz and Gadi Eizenkot.