close
close

The White House remains silent after Blinken says the US is not involved in the Israeli attack on Iran

The White House remains silent on Israel’s recent retaliatory attack on Iran, despite statements from America’s top diplomat denying any US involvement.

Press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre opened her daily press conference on Friday with a preemptive refusal to comment on the incident, which Iranian officials appeared to have largely shrugged off.

“I know there is a lot of interest in reports from the Middle East overnight, and we understand that. But I’m going to say it now: I know you guys will definitely ask me about it, that we have no comment on the reports at this time,” she said.

Ms Jean-Pierre did not even want to answer the question why she could not comment.

The White House’s relative silence was in stark contrast to the relative openness it displayed earlier this week, when a trio of top defense officials was made available to brief reporters on U.S. involvement in Israel’s successful defense launched against the more than 300 individual munitions launched. its way through Iran.

In the wake of that defensive success, which reportedly saw down 99 percent of Iran’s missiles and drones, President Joe Biden urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to “take the win” and asked him not to escalate further .

Ms Jean-Pierre’s reluctance to address the subject of the Israeli attack came just hours after Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US had no role in an Israeli drone strike on Iran, which was in retaliation for the Last week’s Iranian attack on Israel.

Speaking at a press conference in Capri during a Group of Seven (G7) ministerial meeting, Mr Blinken repeatedly refused to answer questions about the Israeli attack.

Instead, he repeated a statement indicating the US was not involved.

“I won’t comment on that other than to say that the United States has not been involved in any offensive operations,” he said.

“What we are focused on, what the G7 is focused on, and again, it is reflected in our statement and in our conversation, is our work to de-escalate tensions, to de-escalate any conflicts,” he added to it. .

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US played no role in an Israeli drone strike on Iran on Friday (REUTERS)Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US played no role in an Israeli drone strike on Iran on Friday (REUTERS)

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US played no role in an Israeli drone strike on Iran on Friday (REUTERS)

The Israeli government has not yet made any public statement on what appeared to be a retaliatory attack on the Iranian city of Isfahan early Friday morning. The city is home to one of Iran’s most important nuclear sites, but the International Atomic Energy Agency has said there was no damage to any part of a nuclear facility.

In Tehran, Iranian state media appeared to downplay the significance of the incident, while at the same time indicating that the Iranian government will not respond in kind.

Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said at the same news conference alongside Mr Blinken that the United States provided the information during a Friday morning session that was changed at the last minute to address the suspected attack.

Mr Tajani, who chaired the G7 ministerial meeting ahead of this summer’s Group of Seven leaders’ summit, said Mr Blinken had told his colleagues that the US was being asked “at the last minute” by Israel about the drones were informed.

“But the US did not share the attack. It was merely information,” he added.

With additional reporting by authorities