close
close

The Mandan man pleads not guilty to attempted murder

A Mandan man charged after a shooting late last year has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder and unlawful discharge of a firearm within city limits.

Christopher Torres was charged after Mandan police responded to a home on the 900 block of South Frontier Trail shortly after 1 a.m. on Dec. 10, according to an affidavit. Inside the home, officers reportedly discovered a 26-year-old man, identified by the initials TS, who had been shot in the upper chest.

The document states that TS was transported to an area hospital and was expected to recover from his injuries.

A female witness at the home said the shooting occurred after Torres and TS had been drinking and started arguing about a woman, and Torres pointed a gun at TS, according to the affidavit. The woman told police she heard two shots. Torres told police he fired “a warning shot,” according to the affidavit.

People also read…

Officers who responded said they found a 9mm handgun, as well as blood spatter on a bedroom wall.

Torres entered his pleas Tuesday and remained in custody at the Burleigh Morton Detention Center on a $100,000 cash bond.

The trial starts on August 20. If convicted, Torres faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.